Friday, August 08, 2014

Pimento Cheese; Also Tomato Salad


Pimento cheese. Back there in the aqua bowl. This is good stuff. Stuff it in celery (spring for the organic), spread it on a homemade roll, make it into a grilled cheese sandwich.

*Pimento Cheese*

This multiplies well and keeps well, so consider making a bigger batch.

Grate 1/2 lb. sharp cheddar cheese.

Drain a small jar of pimentos (to keep you from being like me and living in ignorance until you're twenty-five, I'll just mention that pimentos are roasted, chopped red peppers. You've seen them in green olives. I used to think they were tomatoes. They are not.) and add it to the cheese.

Very lightly stir in about 1/4 cup mayonnaise (you can use light--if it's Duke's).

Add several shots each of Worcestershire sauce and any hot sauce you may have in the cupboard.

Stir lightly until it's well-combined, and put it in the fridge for an hour or two if you can bear to be separated from it.


This is rich stuff, so you might want to cut the richness by serving a tomato salad alongside. I bought two bags of wonderful tomatoes at farmer's market--they are bigger than cherry tomatoes, but too small to be regular tomatoes. Daisy cut each one of them in half and added a handful of fresh basil cut into strips.

I made a dressing of olive oil, rice vinegar (so nice and mild), Jane's Crazy Mixed-Up Salt, and a tiny bit of sugar. Oh yes.


5 comments:

Rose said...

I got to considerably more than 25 without knowing about pimentos! Thank you Anna, I've popped that one in my "warm weather" cooking folder.

Daisy is going to be a great kitchen assistant for you when Bella takes off for her grand adventure.

Barbara said...

I'm a new reader here, and I have to comment -- that looks delicious. Thank you for sharing!

Farrah said...

I love pimento cheese. This is a good thing every Southern lady is taught to make. This should be made with Dukes if possible. I'll try the tomato salad recipe soon.

Anonymous said...

Say howdy, are those Daisy's new pickles on the left side of the divided dish? Way to go!

Lucille said...

I wish I could get crazy mixed up salt. Is it something I could replicate? It would go well with my crazy mixed up pepper.

Related Posts with Thumbnails