Friday, March 21, 2014

French Farmgirl Apron. So Easy.


It was so easy to make this linen apron for the garden. I started with a thrift store linen dress--you've seen these a hundred times. Long length, shell buttons down the front, lapel collar.

I buttoned it all the way up, put it on the dress form, and cut away a scoop neck front and back. Then cut straight up the side seams on both sides, then went around to the back and cut out a back neck shape. See below.


I cut strips from some of my back fabric, and sewed them up into waist ties, then sewed them to the dress at the waist seam. 

Next I carefully sewed the full length of the button placket closed, following the topstitching on the placket, two lines of it.

Then I took that long front skirt and doubled it up to make giant pockets for my garden produce. Generally that will be okra, with an occasional green bean if I get lucky.

I stitched the pocket in place up the sides, then up the placket again to divide it into two pockets. (I removed those inside buttons first so I wouldn't break a sewing machine needle).


Last, I looked in my giant trove of bias binding and found that old ball of handmade binding someone made--oh, it looks like at least sixty years ago. I machine sewed it onto the front side of the edges, then took my time and slipstitched it invisibly in the back. I say invisibly. Some stitches actually show, but you know.

11 comments:

Andrea said...

Simply beautiful :)

kath said...

Lovely! So perfect for the kitchen and garden too!

Mrs. Kelley Dibble said...

What a practical refashion-- functional, beautiful. You'll be the prettiest aproned gal in the garden.

Happy highways,
Kelley~

Mary Ellen Barrett said...

Such a lovely apron. Almost too pretty to use. ;)

WendyBee said...

Brilliant! Very pretty to look at, and I love those deep, generous pockets. You could take out wet laundry to hang, with all the clothespins in your pockets, and then when you're done, get some carrots and onions and herbs from the garden, carry them in your pockets into the house to put in the soup. Oh good, there's a little breeze to help the sun get the sheets dry and sweet-smelling.

Wendy said...

so clever!

Farrah said...

Love this! Great idea! This will be perfect for gardening.

Lisa said...

How clever to think of that design!

Lisateresa

Margo said...

LOVE those pockets!! how clever you are with those linen dresses.

Karen H said...

What a great idea! Lovely apron.

Denise@knitchat.com said...

I like it!

Related Posts with Thumbnails