Tuesday, May 29, 2012

A Sunny Twill Dress for Clara: Vintage McCall's 3643


Beautiful Italian cotton twill cross-woven in yellow and white, and this elegant pattern from the stash. Too bad my pattern photo is so out of focus.

I worked with a junior size 11, which was a little small and required resizing that went about okay. I ended up with darts that ended too high, and fabric too unforgiving to allow a do-over. Oh well, only Clara and I (and you) will ever know!


This pattern has a truly lovely shaped cap sleeve that looks really unlikely on paper, but works our well. And I love that all the bodice edges are bound in self-binding that shows--a trick usually reserved for aprons, but very effective with fine fabrics.

12 comments:

Lady Farmer said...

Beautiful dress on an equally beautiful girl.

Lily said...

I love your vintage patterns and the finshed articles look so pretty on Clara. 1950s fashion is absolutely my favourite; its so feminine. Lily. xxx

Sarah said...

That cap sleeve is especially pretty.

Lisa said...

It looks perfect on her.

Lisateresa

Kate said...

Gorgeous!!!

~Kate

Margo said...

That is so pretty and your description of the fabric makes me want some!

I just cut out a little blouse this morning with cap sleeves to be bound in self-bias. It's not actually the best look on me because I have broad shoulders to begin with, but it's so cute and retro.

Karen said...

I've been a long time reader and especially love your vintage sewing posts. Beautiful, as always, and Clara is so elegant looking!

Patches of Thyme said...

Beautiful- so very flattering! Of course Clara is such a pretty girl. Love the color

Leah H said...

Lovely!

Wren said...

wow. gorgeous! love the color, too.

Hana - Marmota said...

That's so beautiful. You leave me wondering about the shape of the sleeve pattern! I love patterns that look impossible on paper and turn out marvelous in reality. :-)

Sew Blessed Maw [Judy] said...

Beautiful as is Clara. Looks great on her.. And I am definitley liking yellow this season..

Related Posts with Thumbnails