Friday, October 30, 2009

A Little Foliage Trip with Clara

Clara cashed in a little Christmas trip promised to her last December--a day of foliage, shopping, and dining. I thought I'd handle this one and let the Composer stay home and run things.

We took a winding way through the woods. It's been such a wet autumn, we grabbed the day of sunshine while we had it. Every creek and river and spring was running that clear blue-green.


It's inspiring hanging around a pretty town. Ours is decent and bustling but it's not all about putting on a show. I like a show! This fall's theme appeared to be gourd arrangements in birdbaths, *all* with twisty sticks and sumac heads poking out. I award it the Best Use of Sumac in 2009.


And fallen leaves are always decorative. Every surface and edge softened by brown or rust or rose.


But we didn't just look. We did a little Christmas shopping--I bought several things for my own stocking, so the Composer doesn't have to bother. And boy did we find the perfect thing for Daisy. But that will have to wait.


One of us is a growing girl, and the other one's in training, so we were ready for dinner on the early side. Beautiful salads, fancy steaks, and a shared chocolate souffle while the sun went down in the trees.

I did take an accidental forty-minute detour off the highway on the way home in the dark, but aside from that, we had a Best Day.

13 comments:

Rose said...

What a lovely day and isn't Clara growing up, her face is a young woman's face not a girl's. Best wishes from Oz.

kelly said...

are congrats in order??

Unknown said...

sounds like a wonderful day!!! :)

Unknown said...

*oops* Amos is my hubby...sorry! :P

Lady Farmer said...

So nice to see a post with Clara in it. Seems she is a little 'blog shy!' :~}
Sounds like a perfect day!
Blessings!

Anonymous said...

that sounds like the best of days !

Brenda@CoffeeTeaBooks said...

I love that idea you have of giving the children trips and such for Christmas. These trips will be part of a cherished memory long after their other gifts have worn from use.

I had to laugh at the unintended part of your trip. I'm famous for not noticing a turn off or exit ramp in time.

Although the unintended tour of Pennsylvania last year was the fault of my Navigator and very confusing Mapquest instructions.

The B's said...

Did you find anything fun on your accidental detour? Sometimes I like those unplanned ones best. =)

Lisateresa said...

A lovely trip, and appropriately appreciative travelers!

DeeDee1Whoa said...

Hey, would you like for us to swap blog links, I mean affiliate? Let me know when you add me. http://deedee1whoa.blogspot.com/

Farrah said...

How fun! I am quite proud of Clara for waiting so long to use her Christmas present! Hope you have a wonderful weekend!

Farrah said...

Oh, and thank you for introducing the word "sumac" to me. I had to look it up! I know very little about vegetation of any sort.

Lynne in NC said...

Lovely, lovely, lovely.
Thank you for sharing the foliage from your area.
Peace.

Related Posts with Thumbnails