Thursday, January 29, 2009

Vintage Street Dress: Simplicity 4729


All business, yes? At least it is sewn up in a very fine wool suiting remnant, with longer sleeves. The wool is perfect because it has a tiny vertical stripe, and the pattern allows for striped fabric to be cut on the bias for the front skirt pieces--resulting in a subtle chevron effect down the front.

And we've got stitched down hip pleats, and three darts behind the elbow.

My dress form is starting to spring some loose flaps of tape--forgive her the lumpiness.


I didn't make the dicky, but I did trim the collar with a ruffle. I love the juxtaposition of the manly wool suiting with the girly extravagance.

14 comments:

A. said...

I absolutely adore that fabric!

Allison

Tracy said...

Oh I love it ~ you're so right the frill on such a business like garment is just perfect!

TRS said...

Gorgeous. Nice work.

fawndear said...

Love it! I usually do.

You're so inspiring the way to bring the classic back.

I've given you a blog award because you are just so 'Kreativ'. Please stop by and visit me to see it.

Toodles,
FawnDear

Kelly said...

Now I might be able to sew, but to be as gifted as yourself is a wonderful thing. Thank you so much as sharing your creativity! It gives me much to aspire to!

Very Verdant said...

I love the way the fabrics you chose work so well with the pattern It makes a truly vintage feel. The ruffle was a stroke of genius.
Sonja

Girl Raised in the South said...

Anna, I noticed when I looked at your pattern, that it's size 16, which you're obviously not. I've been selling on Ebay my mother-in-laws patterns from when we cleared out her house, they're mostly vintage 1940's and size 16. I'd suspected that the sizes ran differently back then and this confirmed it.

Anonymous said...

The ruffle is just perfect.

Rhonda said...

That is absolutely gorgeous. I love the vintage patterns-they add glamour to even day to day dresses.
You do an incredible job!!

The Hobbit said...

I think your work is unbelievable!!
You need a sister I don't have one Coincidental?

Amanda said...

So lovely! The fabris is great!

Happymom4 aka Hope Anne said...

I wish you showed more photos of you in the dresses! I love to sew, but I can't accomplish what you are doing--however, your blogs do inspire me to try new things!

Lifeasahoosier said...

I'd wear that dress in a second....so pretty!

Martha A. said...

It is so nice! I did some research before on pattern sizes and found they did shift drastically and a 14-16, I think is more like our 8-10....

Related Posts with Thumbnails