Wednesday, July 09, 2008

A Little Lunch Party


Yesterday I had a tiny lunch party for three friends. Although I had put *all* the preparation off until the last minute, meaning I was rushing in the door with the groceries (ooh, and a new orchid!) an hour before lunch, it all came together and when we sat down to eat, the beautiful peace that often comes with hospitality descended.

Bella and I threw this incredibly luscious cheesy pasta together as fast as we could, then sliced up a honeydew melon to dress with honey and lime, and made little saucers of tomato slices garnished with fresh sage.

Fortunately, dessert was easy since we had Clara's birthday cake in the fridge, so I was able to pull out slices of German chocolate cake (must serve deeply chilled!) and coffee at the end.

And best of all was the last bit of quiet conversation I had with Eve as she stayed to help with the dishes.

9 comments:

YayaOrchid said...

Sounds like a lovely gathering! I love your orchid, the color is so bright and exotic! Wish I could have been one of your guests!

Anonymous said...

Honeydew with honey and lime! I need to try that.

Rina said...

Fantastic lunch!

I discovered a great site just perfect for you today:

Vintage Recipes!

http://www.vintagerecipes.net/

Love the blog, keep up the great work!

Anonymous said...

May I be so bold as to invite myself to one of your lunches next time I visit the States. I'll be your best friend:) and help with the dishes! Still loving your blog, always clean and refreshing like the lunch salads.

Karen said...

Some of the best conversations take place while doing the dishes. Sounds like a lovely day.

Vanessa {Bloom Right Here!} said...

I found your blog last night from a Google Reader link. So glad I did! An old schoolhouse?! I've always thought it would be wonderful to live in an old school or church. Anyway, love your blog and can't wait to read more.

Anonymous said...

These are definately the best lunches... thank you for sharing.

have a blessed day,

mari

Debbie in CA : ) said...

I just love impromptu elegance! It took me years to have the confidence to "throw it all together" with style. Once I tried it I never returned to the carefully detailed menus and late-night prep. Life's too short -- food should enhance the party, not eat up all my energy and leave me too sapped to chat enthusiatically. Love your site!

Grace Acres said...

The orchid is beautiful. I am envious of your luncheon. I haven't made it a priority lately. thanks for the reminder.

Related Posts with Thumbnails