Friday, October 13, 2006

"As Important as a Dress"

"Do not make the mistake of thinking that an apron is a not-so-very important garment. As a matter of fact, it is really quite as important as a dress—for who can tell when an unexpected guest is going to "drop in" for a chat and find one at the disadvantage of being aproned! But the disadvantage can be changed to an advantage. The apron can be made a very delightful garment. One may actually feel proud to be found wearing a pretty combination of lace and ribbon and soft white dimity—or a rather trig apron-affair of gingham and muslin ruffles.

And then, of course, there is the feeling of utter neatness and satisfaction when one is wearing a crisp little apron. Even though it does hide the pretty dress underneath, it can be so very pretty itself that one hardly minds."

From the New-Way Course in Fashionable Clothes-Making.

4 comments:

Janel said...

I can appreciate that. I have a the S&S Edwardian apron in denium. I postively love it and wear it a lot. But after a few days, I get tired of it. I need to make some others. :)

Anonymous said...

My aprons are such an integral part of my "wardrobe" that I agree wholeheartedly. I mean, when the mail lady notices the rare occasion that you are NOT wearing an apron...... ;-)

Jenny said...

I'm aiming to have an apron for each day of the week so that I can put a fresh one on each day with the bonus that I'll always know what day it is .

Anonymous said...

Dear Anna,
You are so right in saying your apron is as important as your dress. So many times I have seen a woman wearing a shabby stained apron that belongs in the rag bag. I loved reading your posts, especially the "apron" posts as I am a avid apron wearer and consider my aprons as part of my wardrobe. I mostly wear modest cape dresses with a calf to ankle length pinafore style apron. I have plain ones for general housework and more stylish ones to put on if I am expecting company. Frills and ruffles should adorn at least one of your aprons. ;)
I will enjoy reading the rest of your blog.
Blessings, Grace.

Related Posts with Thumbnails