Saturday, October 29, 2005

Saturday Hike and Gingerbread


The Composer suggested a hike this afternoon, so we went up the highway to a trail we had never used before and it was beautiful. Foliage just starting to turn--beech and hickory and oak and maple, a cloudless sky, and blue haze at the horizon. Daisy submitted somewhat ungraciously to the indignity of the backpack (she was grumpy anyway because this morning I washed Soft Blankie!!!). Before we left the house I made this recipe and packed the pan in the back of the car along with a jug of iced tea. It smelled so good!

•Schoolhouse Gingerbread•

Combine and beat until smooth:

1 c. sugar
1 c. molasses
1 c. oil
3 eggs

In another bowl mix:

3/4 t. salt
1 t. cloves
1 t. ginger
1 t. cinnamon
2 c. flour
2 t. baking soda

Add to first bowl, then stir in:

1 c. boiling water.

Bake in greased and floured 8x8 pan at 350 for 45 minutes. Eat at picnic table before hiking. Eat it all.

5 comments:

Susan said...

I'm going to have to try this gingerbread recipe. I've been looking for a good gingerbread recipe! :) Maybe I'll get to try it this weekend.

Anonymous said...

HELP, I tried this recipe and it overflowed in my oven. What did I do wrong? I followed it exactly, the only thing I can think is that I mixed it in my Kitchenaid mixer. Do you think I overmixed it? Thanks for the help.
Kimwilliams@kingwoodcable.net

Anonymous said...

This is a lovely recipe, and fyi - it makes 3 nice, 8" round layers. I frosted mine with light chocolate-spice buttercream between the layers & on top, threw some mini choc chips over it, some yellow sugar, and everybody liked it! Amen!

The Vosslers said...

Oh, I just saw this happened to someone else. I mixed this up and put it in the 8x8 pan like it said and it boiled completely over in my oven. Yucky smell instead of gingerbread smell! Oh well ... what size pan is ideal for this? I end up mixing up my pan sizes with cooking times ... is it another size but the same cooking time?

Thanks,

Anonymous said...

Lovely!
I will have to try this recipe somtime.

Related Posts with Thumbnails